EVERGREEN HERITAGE CENTER TOURS
In addition to its educational programs, the Evergreen Heritage Center, recognized by the Maryland Historical Trust since 1976, is open to the public on select dates. Visitors may tour the Evergreen Museum and view its 230 year history from when the home was first built in the late 1700s, to its expansion to a plantation in the 1820s, and finally to its evolution to a Victorian homestead in 1870s when Winfield Scott Trimble planted 13 varieties of evergreen trees and named the home Evergreen. Visitors may also tour the original stone foundation Evergreen Barn with its hand-hewn chestnut beams and plantation era farming implements. In addition, visitors may hike the Evergreen Coal Trail. Click here for a brochure on the Evergreen Heritage Center or here for a brochure and map of the Evergreen Coal Trail. A summary description of each of these attractions is also provided below.
To register for our spring Gardening Open House on Saturday June 1 from 1-4pm, click here. For more information, click here.
The Evergreen Museum
Eight generations ago, in the late 1700s, one of Allegany County’s early settlers, Edward Grimes, built a stone foundation log home about a mile from a settlement that would become known as Mount Savage. That home was later acquired by the Winter family, who expanded the home with a large stone addition and outbuildings, creating a southern style plantation. After the Civil War, the Winter’s neighbors, the Trimble family, who had also settled in the area in the late 1700s, acquired the property, further expanded the home and painted it white, and named the new farm Evergreen, in honor of the fledgling evergreen trees planted there. In 1976, Evergreen was recognized by the Maryland Historical Trust and added to its inventory of historical properties. In 1993, the descendent landowners converted the family’s ancestral farmhouse to a museum. Today the six bedroom Evergreen Museum contains a vast array of antique furnishings, spanning the last 200 years, including the colonial, early Victorian, and late Victorian eras. Every room of the Evergreen Museum is literally full of antiques and artifacts. In addition, the Museum contains a 4’ x 3’ dollhouse replica of Evergreen that displays the house in Victorian times, complete with wallpaper, furnishings, and paintings. For researchers of genealogy, the Museum also exhibits the Trimble family genealogy, dating back to 400 A.D. in Scotland. For a brochure on the EHC and Evergreen Museum, click here.
The Evergreen Barn
As previously noted, eight generations ago, in the late 1700s, one of Allegany County’s early settlers, Edward Grimes, built a stone foundation log home about a mile from a settlement that would become known as Mount Savage. Also circa 1780, it is believed that Mr. Grimes built the stone foundation bank barn that remains at Evergreen today. The barn was built on a hillside (bank) to provide ground level access in both the front and back of the building. It was constructed in the Pennsylvania style known as “Sweitzer” and with an eight foot “open forebay” (overhang) extending over six stables on the lower level. On the upper level, the Grimes’ barn had two log cribs for hay separated by a threshing floor. The barn has recently been opened for tours and includes a huge horse drawn hay wagon and dozens of plantation era farm tools.
The Evergreen Coal Trail
Coal mining began at Evergreen in 1902, with various deep mining operations that continued through the 1940s. To support that effort, a tram-way was built that hauled the coal from the deep mines to where the coal could be taken to market. Hundreds of tons of coal (over 7000 in 1910) were hauled over that tram-way. One of the longest running Evergreen mining projects was conducted by United Big Vein Coal (UBVC) between 1915 and 1925. As part of its operation, UBVC expanded the tram-way rails and switches originally established by Midland Mining and added a bull wheel to the incline plane that lowered the coal from a tipple to the C&P Railroad. In addition, UBVC created living quarters for the miners, a blacksmith shop, a forge, and a mule stable. Remnants of these remain today, as well as evidence of the evolution of the tram-way transportation that began with mules and ponies, then upgraded to an electric tram engine, and finally utilized a Dinky steam engine. Today, the Evergreen Coal Trail, with its 22 points of interest, traces the path of the tram-way from the deep mines to the incline plan where the coal cars were lowered down by the bull wheel. For more information on Evergreen’s Coal Heritage, please reference a document that provides the history of the Evergreen Coal Trail by clicking here, and obtain a brochure and map of the Trail by clicking here.
For more information on EHC tours, call 301-687-0664 or email us by clicking here.